If you’re into Russian lit you may have read the famous quote by Tolstoy.
“Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.”
Evans, from Marriage Today, backs up this argument by sharing 7 secrets that functional thriving families have in common.
(1) A Correct Priority Structure
(2) A Balance of Grace and Truth
(3) Healthy Dependency
(4) Positive Communication
(5) Proper Parental Authority
(6) The Virtue of Personal Responsibility
(7) Positive Generational Transference
The book takes big concepts and puts them into an easy-to-read format. It shows us how our families and family lives can mirror how we respond to God. It also states that how we “do life” will have huge effect on how our children will view God in their lives.
A few interesting tenets he gave I think sum up a large part of parenting. I tend to be always on one end of the spectrum or the other (having been described as “all or nothing” aka: supermom). I am rarely in balance naturally and have to work hard to get there. This was a much needed and appreciated wake-up call!
– Relationships of truth without grace dry up.
– Relationships of grace without truth blow up.
– Relationships of truth and grace grow up.
I heartily recommend this book for you and your spouse!
PS – Click here for more parenting book reviews!